Skip to main content

Breakfast Memories

There are a lot of reasons I'm starting this blog right now. But I think I'd rather jump in in the middle than at the beginning... I'm going to start with yesterday, and what came up for me over breakfast.

I always listen to the news on NPR as I get ready for work. And yesterday, NPR ran a story about the sentencing hearing for Zacharias Musawi. As part of the coverage, they described the testimony of the surviving friends and family members of 9/11 victims... and I found myself reflecting on my own experiences at that time. I remembered my initial sense that, well, at least I didn't know very many people in New York...followed by the dawning realization of just how many people in New York I did know. Actually, it turned out that more people than I could have imagined were in harm's way on that day. I remember, for instance, telling my daughter, then in middle school, that her best friend who had moved to Queens over the summer was nowhere near the WTC--only to find out days later that she had been attending school that day only a few blocks from there. (They had let the kids out early that day... and sent them all walking home. Walking home...to Queens...on that day, of all days. Incredible.)

I was, on September 11, 2001, a Wiccan High Priestess (HP for short) of a busy coven, and a psychotherapist in private practice. I was also on faculty for the then brand-new Cherry Hill Seminary--a kind of graduate training program for Pagan clergy. I was teaching a course on pastoral counseling techniques, and all of a sudden, every one of my students needed me to talk them through crisis counseling for communities. Some of their communities were pacifists; some were military Pagans; most had communities with a diversity of feelings about war and peace. And everyone was in crisis.

I remember how cold I was, and how my hands shook as I sent out emails and wrote articles on traumatic bereavement--what to do, what to watch out for, and how to help one another.

I was also, at that time (and still am), a member of a group of Pagans who gather for a religious and educational retreat on an annual basis. Over the years, we have become very close--the event is in its twenties, now--almost like a village. Every Columbus Day weekend, including in 2001, we meet to teach, and touch, and celebrate one another. And that year, we met, among other things, for a trauma debriefing for the walking wounded members of my tribe.

The retreat had been started by New York city Pagans, and about 1/2 to 2/3 of its members still live there, or very near the city. Some of our members missed death only because they had been running late to work that morning. Others were close enough to flee for their lives, or to have horrible visions of the carnage visible between the crash of the first airplane and the collapse of the towers. And one dear friend, a firefighter from outside the city, had spent every day off between 9/11 and the retreat attending the funeral of at least one NYFD member.

Remembering his agony, again I have to stop to wipe away tears. I wear reading glasses now, so I can't cry and type at the same time any more.

It was the morning of September 11 that I first knew in my body as well as my mind that deep and absolute conviction that war was just not the answer for anything. In a world where a half-dozen men armed with box-cutters can kill thousands, it becomes clear that no amount of force or the threat of force will ever save life. All killing will do is pile the bodies higher.

Today, I say it with words. On September 11, I felt it in my marrow, in my spine.

Between September 11 and that Columbus Day (ironically, the weekend when the bombing of Afghanistan began) I found the Quakers. I have been a Quaker ever since.

And yesterday morning, as I listened to the news, I felt it again in my core: killing will never make it--make anything--right. I know that the reason the prosecution is bringing forth victim testimony is to try to convince a jury to put Musawi to death. I know that many surviving friends and family members--and other sincere people--believe that this will in some way help to balance a scale or heal...something.

But I also know as deeply as I know anything in this world that killing Musawi is not right, is not justice, and is not going to heal anyone. So many things have changed for me in the five years since that day. I'm no longer a HP; I no longer run a coven; and I no longer teach pastoral counseling. (I am still Pagan--my love for the earth and the Old Gods does not change. But other Quaker testimonies and practices have grown in me, about oaths, clergy, simplicity... and they have changed how I worship, if not what or why.)

This one thing has not changed. Killing is just killing. Just more death. And we will never win our way to peace over more dead bodies... no matter what they have done in life.

Hm. Long entry for a first. But I think it's faithful. I think it's true. I'll let it go at that.

Blessings,
Cat

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fame

(Note: there were so many thought provoking comments in response to this post that it generated a second-round of ideas. You can read the follow-up post here .) I have a confession to make. I want to be famous. Well, sort of. I don't want to be famous, famous, and ride around in a limousine and have to hire security and that sort of thing. I just want to write a book, have it published by somebody other than my mother, and bought and read by somebody other than my mother, and maybe even sign a couple of autographs along the way. Mom can have one autographed, too, if she wants. It has to be a spiritual book. A really moving and truthful book, that makes people want to look deep inside themselves, and then they come up to me and say something like, "It was all because of that book you wrote! It changed my life!" And I would say, no, no, really, you did all that, you and God/the gods --I'm a little fuzzy on whether the life-changing book is for Pagans or for Quake

Peter on Grief and Communities

Well, that was unexpected. For the last year, ever since my mom's health took a sharp downturn, I've been my dad's ride to Florence Congregational Church on Sundays. That community has been important for my dad and the weekly outing with me was something he always looked forward to and enjoyed, so I didn't mind taking him there. It meant giving up attending my own Quaker meeting for the duration, but I had already been questioning whether silent waiting worship was working for me. I was ready for a sabbatical. A month ago, my dad was Section-Twelved into a geriatric psych hospital when his dementia started to make him emotionally volatile. I had been visiting him every day at his assisted living facility which was right on my way home from work, but the hospital was almost an hour away. I didn't see him at all for three weeks, and when I did visit him there, it actually took me a couple of seconds to recognize him. He was slumped forward in a wheel chair, lo

There is a Spirit Which I Feel

I was always a "rational use of force" gal. For most of my life I believed that the use of force--by which I meant human beings taking up arms and going off to war to try to kill one another--was a regrettable necessity. Sometimes I liked to imagine that Paganism held an alternative to that, particularly back in the day when I believed in that mythical past era of the peaceful, goddess-worshipping matriarchal societies . (I really liked that version of history, and was sorry when I stopped believing in it as factual.) But that way of seeing reality changed for me, in the time between one footfall and the next, on a sunny fall morning: September 11, 2001. I was already running late for work that day when the phone rang; my friend Abby was calling, to give me the news that a plane had flown into the World Trade Center in New York. So? I thought to myself, picturing a small private aircraft. Abby tried to convey some of what she was hearing--terrorists, fire--but the mag